Sunday, February 05, 2006

Not Playing


Taken Saturday, January 28th, in Etobicoke, Ontario.

The old Westwood Theatre near the intersection of Kipling Avenue and Bloor and Dundas Streets in mid-Etobicoke was one of my favourite summer hangouts during my youth. It was here that I saw Airplane! both the first and second times. (I'd arrived too late for the first afternoon show, so I saw half of it, then the second one). My mother worked for Bell just a bit to the east of the theatre over near Bloor and Islington and I would occasionally drop over to the Westwood, watch a show, then meet her afterwards for a lift home. Nowadays it sits vacant, the adjacent stores are just waiting for the owner of the property to inevitably sell to condo developers. Shame, really. The days of the 2- and 3-screen cinemas seem to be long past.

No comments: