Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Pizza History

Whist riding the venerable VIVA bus up Yonge Street, I've noticed the transformation of an old Pizza Hut north of Steeles, near Glen Cameron Road. I remember it well since my parents took me there for dinner for my 21st birthday oh-so-many years ago. But that's not important right now, what IS important is that the building's pizza incarnation stretched way back before being part of the American chain. It would appear, by the very faint logo that's been whitewashed, that is was once Frank Vetere's (Deep Dish) Pizza. Most of the former locations were converted to Pizza Huts in the mid-80s, but I'll always remember the location near Yonge and Carlton (the former Harvey Wallbangers) the fondest. Big mugs of Coke, deep cheesy pans of pizza. What more could a kid want?

Across the street is a sign which advertises the businesses in the adjacent strip-plaza. I'm thinking that some bored suburban kids had some time on their hands and decided to do a little anagramization:
Poor Al.

At least they left the other side alone....


Photos taken April 16 and 18 at Yonge Street and Glen Cameron Road in Thornhill (Markham), Ontario.

No comments: