Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance Day

I don't have a photo to commemorate this special day. Instead, I have a rant. Today is probably the most solemn of days for people who appreciate what we have and how it could have been taken away from us had the tyrants of the past succeeded in overtaking the world through imperialistic domination. This isn't Thanksgiving Day, but it is still a day where we give thanks to those who have sacrificed their lives so that we could live the lives we lead today. (I'll save the definition of "freedom" for those who have stronger views on the subject--suffice to say, we're pretty darn free)

My rant is in the form of a letter which I sent to the operators of an outlet mall in Grove City, Pennsylvania and to Sears Canada. In their wisdom, these two companies decided to have Remembrance Day Sales today, which frankly disgusted me. Now listen, I shop in the U.S., I shop on Sundays, hell, I shop on days that are full-fledged public holidays. I just think that using the image of heroic sacrifice in order to sell stuff that, let's face it, we probably don't really NEED, is crass, tacky and indefensible. Below is a copy of a letter that I sent to both companies (with the names changed where appropriate) to express my feelings.



To whom it may concern,

It is with disappointment and disgust that I write to you regarding an advertisement for your Grove City Outlets' "Remembrance Day" sale.

First off, I would like to point out to you that I am a regular outlet mall shopper, not particularly at Grove City, however I do enjoy travelling to the U.S. to take advantage of sales and stores that aren't available to us in Canada.

My issue is with your company's crass use of "Remembrance Day" in your advertising. Although the day isn't an official public holiday in Canada, it is a day which we hold in the highest regard as a tribute to our fallen soldiers. As millions of American soldiers have, our soldiers went through hell on earth to protect the values that we North Americans hold dear, and I somehow doubt that "GREAT VALUES!" were what they had in mind.

I have no problem with your company advertising to Canadians, I have no problems with you even having a sale this week. I do think that you could have shown a little more respect and tact when it comes to choosing a name for your sale.

Kindest regards



May we never forget.

1 comment:

Buck said...

Well spoken. I tip my hat to you buddy.

Buck