Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Station 51


Being a child of the 70s, I watched a lot of lousy TV. One exception to all this was Emergency! which supposedly ran on Saturday nights on NBC, but I remember watching it weekdays at 5 on CFTO-TV, Channel 9, Cable 8, right after Star Trek. The show was very cool not only for the bright red trucks, but also for this thing they called a "Mantooth". Anyway, I was a devoted watcher and even wanted to be a paramedic when I grew up. (Then I realized there was blood involved, which you didn't see much of on TV, so there went that idea)

I always wanted to see this mythical "Station 51" even if there weren't any Roy or Johnny to show me around, and on this trip, I finally got to. Station 127 of the Los Angeles County Fire Department, located in the city of Carson across from an Arco oil refinery on the western edge of L.A. County, played the role of Station 51. The station was renamed the Robert. A. Cinader Memorial Fire Station after the co-creator of the series in 1985.

Photos taken at 2049 East 223rd Street, Carson, California on April 12, 2011

No comments: