Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Glen Campbell


Tonight was a bittersweet night. I went to see someone who meant a lot to me back in 1975, but not a whole lot since: Glen Campbell. My earliest recollection of a 'favourite song' would have to be Rhinestone Cowboy, from the album of the same name. Tonight, I got to see the singer of said song, under slightly sad circumstances. Glen recently announced that he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease, and that he was going to release one new record and have one final tour, of which tonight's show was the opener. He played a ton of hits (Galveston, Try A Little Kindness, Wichita Lineman, Country Boy, Southern Nights, the aforementioned Cowboy) and had 4 of his children along in his touring band. Hopefully they got to see how much dad meant to the crowd of, well, mostly-older-than-me's, and hopefully dad did, too. Given the ominous reasoning for the tour, what one could excuse as "senior moments" seemed more sinister tonight. Even still, the man sure can play his gee-tar and gave the crowd what they were looking for, including, for me, Rhinestone Cowboy.

Photos taken on August 31, 2011 at the CNE Bandshell, Exhibition Place in Toronto, Ontario.

1 comment:

Randy said...

I just saw his new album on iTunes and it is wonderful. I would love to go see him if he comes nearby. I remember him from the 70's too.