Friday, November 23, 2012

Meeting Pete Townshend









On a day off from The Who's tour of their (well his actually) opus Quadrophenia, Pete Townshend sat down for a Q&A session with local music brain Alan Cross at the Indigo book shop at the Manulife Centre in Toronto.

I couldn't possibly try to properly precis Pete's pontifications about war, the internet (as seen through a group of elite British artists in 1961, and himself via the aborted Lifehouse project in 1971), German blondes and competitive sailing here, but one phrase will always stick out:

Keith Moon was a c*nt. (which was said with utmost admiration)

There's a reason why Townshend was/is chief wordsmith for one of the loudest, most powerful groups in the history of rock music. His voice is softer, his body is slower, but his legacy is assured. The only words I'll likely ever say to the man were "I've been a fan since 1982; Whenever I hear "Somebody Saved Me" it makes me so happy". I got an "Awwwww" in return.

Oh, and an autograph.

Photos Taken at Indigo Books, Manulife Centre, 55 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario on November 22, 2012.

No comments: